14 April 2009

Glassy Eyes - Got my specs online!

If you could save 75% on eye glasses, would you?

I have just had a great experience buying glasses online, mediated by Ira Mitchell and his excellent Glassy Eyes website. After getting my prescription (from a cranky optometrist - who was not so happy to examine me only and give me my prescription.) I costed glasses with  flexible frames, multifocal and transition lenses, (lenses change in differing light) scratch resistant. All the bells and whistles.

The quote  from the local optometrist was R6000 (+/- US$ 600)

Using Glassy Eyes recommendation of a company called EyeBuyDirect, I nervously ordered exactly what I wanted. If it was wrong, being in South Africa, the return or correction process was unknown. I had to really trust to do this. BUT, less than 25% of the local quote was a powerful reason to check it out, no?

Final cost was R1300 - including postage!! It was so worth the risk. My glasses arrived in Cape Town from a factory in China in FIVE (5) DAYS after order - and they also kindly marked it 'samples' so no duty paid. FIVE days is incredible. It takes longer to get a letter around this country than my glasses from China from order to delivery.

Getting used to wearing multifocals is a bit of a learning process, but now I am happy as a clam and sold on this incredible service and savings. It is worth investigating if you are a wearer of lenses. Big thanks to Ira at Glassy Eyes for this service.

No comments: